Le Current-Crisis

Summary
I just want to share my experience, so far, with the riots, black lives matter protests and how the general chaos in society, overall, has affected my real estate business, Homesale Realty, the rest of the community and even Millersville University.


Homesale
Just... yesterday, I got this email from my boss.
.
.
.

"                                                                          "



Impact
It's not the greatest feeling know you should be on the lookout for any riots! Rod has been incredible with providing us the most important information right away. I can't imagine having to keep up with everything at his rate. Under his leadership, the company has produced covid-specific contract addendum's, safety protocol and health screening logs so that we can continue doing business by following the guidelines and track our contact.


My business
The civil movement and riots have effected my business directly in several ways. I was not expecting any of these scenarios, so they were very surprising to me. People are beginning to fear for their safety, and other's have fallen subject to employment compromising events.


Client Story
A client of mine is in the national guard. Some thugs set fire to a military truck at his place of work that resulted in a million dollar, heavy-duty pump to blow up. He, and the rest of his co-workers, were sent home for their own safety with full pay. The fire took place on Wednesday night, and it was declared terrorism due to the direct threat it posed to the military. The FBI is now involved, and this client has been notified that they may be called upon for active duty in response to the violent riots and vandalism taking place across the nation.


If he's called upon for active duty, he'll risk missing many deadlines in his contract to purchase his home. Though his leave is paid, any changes to employment status can raise concern in the eyes of the lender. Prolonged unemployment could lead to disqualification for the financing he's in the process of obtaining.  Not to mention the obvious stress in anticipating a call for active duty, with no clue where he'd be sent. If he is relocated for active duty, settlement will definitely have to be rescheduled. That will significantly change the estimated cost of the transaction for both my client and the seller.


Social Media
I shared someone else's post on Facebook this week. Here's the post.






Someone had declared their own meaning of the post, then called me 'distasteful' just for sharing it... even though I had never included my opinion about the post; I just shared it. Dragging my name AND professional image into their own post, I was made out to be an oppression-supporting, disrespectful, ignorant 'Karen.'


In the comments, someone actually referred to me as 'a Karen.' That is an appropriate name for any white chick, apparently. I feel as though I was unfairly targeted and made out to look like these were my own words. Further, the author of the post, Skip, assigned his own interpretation of the post as the official message and implied that it was actually MY obvious, intended message.


His message was not my message. However, I can see where he is coming from. I still don't feel the need to defend myself, but regardless... I'm entitled to an opinion and I thought this was unwarranted.







On the bright side, many friends messaged me to bring this post to my attention. It was nice to see how many people were looking out... or, at least real enough to say something directly to me! I received much more direct support than the post did in the end, so I kept biting my tongue.

However, many people are not as fortunate as I am. My situation was hardly embarrassing compared to how severely some people were treated over disputes on social media. I'm sure you're.... well, probably you have heard about the racist snapchat that surfaced on facebook. Millersville has fallen subject to terrible bad mouthing and I feel that it is also unwarranted for MU in this case, too.


Media
*offensive language






Note the 1,100 shares and 500+ comments. That is viral on MU scale.


Comments



















James Duncan's video: https://www.facebook.com/100001635076648/videos/3308233925907744/
Student made subject video: https://youtu.be/ophNL97IQJE 









This is not a good look for MU! Despite the daily drama, we're all in this together. I hope we come out the other side much stronger and more united!

Comments